The Right Attorney Makes a Difference in DUI Defense
You want a lawyer who is accessible and genuinely wants to help. But personal attention and compassion only go so far. What you really need is an attorney who is qualified to fight a DUI and fight for your driving privileges — an attorney who can do more than hold your hand while pleading you guilty.
Important Considerations in Choosing a DUI Lawyer
- Is your attorney local? There are statewide and nationwide firms that advertise drunk driving defense. But there is no substitute for a local attorney who knows the tendencies of the police who arrested you, the prosecutor who is trying to convict you and the judge who will hear your case. The attorneys of Michael T. Norris, Ltd. and John W. Callahan, Ltd. practice in DuPage and Kane counties and they know how the local justice system works.
- Does your attorney focus in DUI defense? Illinois has tough drunk driving laws and DuPage County is notorious for heavy enforcement. You cannot afford to put your case in the hands of a general practice firm or just any criminal law attorney. The specialized field of DUI defense is a major focus of our practice. Our attorneys have handled hundreds of DUIs.
- Does your attorney know how to defend a DUI? We read the case file. We obtain the squad car video. We do the research. We hire the experts. We have won cases by challenging every aspect of a DUI arrest, including the traffic stop, field sobriety tests and the Breathalyzer results. Many of our victories result from direct cross-examination of the arresting officer in hearings or at trial.
- Does your "trial lawyer" actually try cases? Prosecutors know which attorneys go to trial and which attorneys avoid the courtroom like the plague. The trial lawyers of Michael T. Norris, Ltd. and John W. Callahan, Ltd. have a long record of success stories on behalf of DUI clients, including jury acquittals. We have a reputation for taking the "unwinnable" cases that other lawyers would plead out, and we do go to trial when we cannot get a dismissal or when the consequences of a guilty plea are unacceptable.
- Is your attorney experienced and credible? You need a lawyer who is aggressive but strategic, who comes across as an authority without alienating a jury. John Callahan is a member of the high-IQ organization Mensa. He has applied his brainpower to criminal defense since 1993, and he has lectured on "Fourth Amendment Search and Seizure Law," one of the first lines of DUI defense. Mike Norris is a former Cook County prosecutor with 30 years of experience in criminal law. He brings unique insights and courtroom strategies from handling hundreds of complex and high-profile felonies. Our trial lawyers and associates "eat and breathe" DUI cases. We have made it our business to keep current with Illinois DUI laws and to stay on the cutting edge of new defenses to give our clients a fighting chance in a system stacked against them.
We don't mind that prospective clients like to check out other law firms and ask around about us. We know that more often than not, they circle back to the law offices of Michael T. Norris, Ltd. and John W. Callahan, Ltd. after seeing what the competition has to offer.
We are confident we can win your case or improve your outcome. You can always call us toll free at 1-877-335-6693 or e-mail us for a free and confidential consultation. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day.